Governor Tom Corbett continues to brag about the 140 – 150,000 private sector jobs created during his one term in office, saying in radio ads that the growth is “remarkable”. But this claim conveniently forgets the fact that PA is now 46th in private sector job growth over this period, which makes the result actually “regrettable”, not “remarkable”. And experts say that the numbers of new jobs are simply consistent with the US economy’s continued progression out of the 2008-09 recession, and doesn’t even reflect the loss of 42,000 public sector jobs, many in education. Here’s just another reason not to trust “One-Term Tom”.
This year proved to be a special one for the East Bradford Democrats – but there is much work to do for 2014. Accomplishments in 2013 included:
- A successful two-day April Plant Sale fundraiser that raised well over $1,000, with $250 of that donated to Camp Linden in West Chester for underprivileged children (thanks to Valerie Deaton for organizing)
- Spring roadside cleanup along Hannum Avenue in East Bradford (thanks to Fred Rothman for organizing)
- Distribution of a spring EB Democrats newsletter prior to the May primary, with special push for West Chester Area School District (WCASD) “Better Direction for West Chester” school board slate
- Introduction of the new East Bradford Democrats Facebook Page (thanks to Brian McGinnis for setting up and everyone who has contributed postings)
- Addition of PayPal link and account to our website to allow for easy donations to the organization (thanks to Garrett McDaniel for setting this up)
- The “Taste of Italy” Fall Social and fundraiser at Laguna Miramare on October 24 that allowed us to celebrate the year with new friends (thanks to Deb Hodies for organizing)
- Production of a fall pre-election newsletter that included a sample ballot, progressive news stories, and support for our endorsed candidates
- Support for and election of four progressive WCASD candidates to the school board, beating out four tea party Republican candidates in the November election; this means (along with the recent appointment of Bret Binder), that there are now three Democrats (and three moderate Republicans) on the nine-member school board
A big thanks to our Democratic supporters for a great year. The coming new year promises to be ever exciting – with the 2014 mid-term elections approaching, We look forward to a spirited primary race for a Democratic candidate to replace “One-Term Tom” as governor of Pennsylvania, and to provide support for a new PA 158th representative (hopefully our friend Susan Rzucidlo).
Bill Phifer, Chairperson – East Bradford Democrats
If you have a Facebook account, you can now visit and ‘LIKE’ the East Bradford Democrats! (See Facebook link to right.)
It makes communication easier for all hands AND it helps disseminate our info to your other friends. Thanks so much.
Thanks to our recent plant sale fundraiser, we were able to donate a portion of the proceeds to Camp Linden, which serves underprivileged children from Philadelphia by bringing them to West Chester to enjoy the outdoors. We recently received the following thank you note from Jeffrey Dubb at the camp:
Thank you, and all of the East Bradford Democrats, for your wonderful gift of $300 (on 5/28) to Camp Linden. Camp starts on July 1st and goes for six weeks. Please feel free for any of you to come visit and see your donation at work. A special thank you to Deb Hodies for putting this together!